Take a journey of discovery at YorNight 2018
Find out what life was like in the Ice Age, learn about marvellous microbes or venture into the Sundome at York Researchers’ Night (YorNight) on Saturday 17 November…..
Explore the wonders of space inside an inflatable planetarium or drive a remote controlled car with your brain. Listen to the graffiti scratched into York Gaol walls by prisoners 200 years ago or have a go at a new smartphone memory game.
With hands-on activities, games, competitions, talks and more, York Researchers’ Night (YorNight) on Saturday 17 November promises a journey of discovery into the fascinating world of research. Suitable for all the family, events are completely FREE.
YorNight showcases the work of more than 50 University of York researchers, offering an amazing opportunity to find out about the diverse research being carried out right here in our city.
Come along and see for yourself how York research is influencing and transforming our daily lives.
All activities and talks take place in the heart of the city at the historic King’s Manor and the Yorkshire Museum from 3pm to 8pm. Accessible to all, talks range from the science behind singing, to tackling cancer, to the amazing worlds around distant stars. In addition, an array of interactive activities promises fun for all the family.
• Put on a Virtual Reality headset and dive into the atomistic world of biomolecules. Find out about the molecules that make you, YOU
• Experiment with the science of talk to find out why we sometimes complete each other’s sentences or say the same thing at the same time
• Find out what we can learn from analysing a 1,000 year old body preserved in a bog, from what it was wearing, to its last meal
• Meet the ‘Soccer Mad Boffins’ and find out about their research into the business of sport
• Have a go at a board game simulating the 18th century Grand Tour, an extensive trip to Europe made by elite English travellers at the end of their studies
• Get hands-on with Lego™ to investigate nuclear physics.
Drop in for half an hour or stay for five hours and learn something new at YorNight 2018.
For more information and to see the full programme of events visit YorNight.com
YorNight 2018 is presented by the University of York with support from the Higher Education Innovation Fund (HEIF).
Advertising Feature from YorNight